Thursday, January 7, 2010

Clear Juice Feasting is Hard

I went on a clear liquid diet for my colonoscopy.  I had one scheduled for this morning.  It was excruciatingly difficult.  After having been on a daily diet of fresh juices, I missed them incredibly. I felt weak an anemic and STARVING all day.  I finally cheated a little bit and drank the juice of one apple and 2 cabbage leafs.  I also cheated a bit by taking some olive oil with chicken broth and some coconut oil with honey.

This morning I went for the colonoscopy.  I'm not quite sure what I was expecting, but mostly it was clear pink with red veins.  I had a healthy colon. The doc even checked all the way to the small intestine to check for Chron's disease.  My brother had it.  I did the colonoscopy without any pain meds.  Typically they put you under mild sedation with an opiate and benzodiazepene, but apparently the hospital legal protocols don't allow anyone to leave the hospital alone, even in a cab.  You must have accompaniment.  I even cleared that I'd be taking a cab 2 days before with a nurse.  So I went in without pain meds.

After the colonoscopy, I was ravenous so I hit up the hospital cafeteria.  Had some cooked veggies, a tad of salad, a vegetarian vietnamese tofu roll, and a chicken tomatillo soup that's anti-Pagano, but was delicious.  I then decided I only had 2 days left of solid foods so could really splurge.  I went to a cafe and picked up a chocolate croissant.  Butter and white flour.  yay.  A few hours later I ended up at People's. The whole foods and raw foods there were so much more satisfying than anything I had earlier - I ended up eating stuff I intended to take home and save for the evening or tomorrow.  Weird - my body had adjusted so that what I thought was comfort food that I craved - the croissant, just wasn't that fulfilling, and the whole vegan foods were better.

No comments:

Post a Comment