Saturday, January 9, 2010

More on Psoriasis

I found Ben's Juicy Conspiracy blog today via the Juicefeasting.com blogroll. Ben went on a 92 day juice feast for his psoriasis.  He says his psoriasis made great progress, but the juice feast wasn't a cure-all.  This solidifies my decision.  I will have to modify David and Katrina's base juice feast recipe a bit for my psoriasis.

I have read from multiple sources that fruit juices are a problem for the psoriatic.  I know that one of the issues during my Pagano diet was probably that I ate too many fruits.  I did not juice them, but only ate them.  There have also been theories linking psoriasis to blood glucose and/or insulin levels.  I had a blood test done for my 3 month blood glucose level done.  It was in the "normal range," whatever that means.  After talking with Pia this morning, she suggested that I keep to only green juices.  I think she's right.

Honestly, I was hoping to avoid this.  Fruit juices are 10x more palatable than green juices.  Green juices are lovely... but 1 gallon of them today is A LOT.  I also think fruit juices have more calories.  This morning I made 2.5L of green juice and 1L of apple/asian pear juice.  I know it's not enough juice for the day.  I set out the rest of the greens I have in the fridge to come to room temperature for tonight.  My green juice this morning was a mess: mustard greens, broccoli, spinach, arugala, lemon, ginger, cucumber, collard greens, celery.  I had 1.5L of the green juice.  The mustard greens are really overpowering, and I felt a bit nauseous afterwards.  That's when I decided to make the liter of fruit juice.  I couldn't really stomach the idea of drinking 4L of green juice a day.  Now I think I will have to suck it up and learn how.  A lot is going to start coming down to food combinations.  Cucumbers, I think, may have to be a staple.  I also may allow myself 1 apple per L of green juice.  I don't know.  Perhaps I will limit it to 1 apple, or 2-3 carrots, or 1/2 a yam, or something like that, limiting the foods with high GI.

At this point, it seems like the only source that has said that it is ok to take lots of fruits and fruit juices for psoriasis is MadCat on the Psoriasistalk forums.  She's wonderful, and totally cleared her psoriasis via juicing, but at this point I'm going to go with the theory that she's the exception to the rule, and so I will be limiting my fruits and fruit juices.

I won't be able to take it easy for these 60+ days.  I will have to research and learn and figure things out.

PS> I just had a second meal:  0.5 L of apple/asian pear juice with supplements: 2 Tbsp Vitamineral Green, 1 tsp Vitamineral Earth, 1 Tbsp Spirulina.  Funny, the Vitamineral powder tasted really good.  Off to yoga.

No comments:

Post a Comment