Thursday, January 14, 2010

Sleep is good, dumbass!

So I stayed up until 6am on Tuesday night, resulting in posting delays both yesterday and today.  I got up and did yoga @ 7am both days, and I was reasonably awake yesterday save a couple short cat naps, but today I really got hit with exhaustion despite sleeping 7+ hours last night.

So I'm learning a few things about the diet:  I don't really get hungry anymore.  I get cold and tired.  I've learned that if I'm cold or tired, it means I need to drink.  If I drink some room temperature juice when cold I actually warm up and wake up, too.  However refrigerator temperature juice doesn't warm me, and makes me colder.  After yoga yesterday, I came home and made a ginger zinger for myself.  On only 1 hour of sleep, I drank it ice cold without thinking, hoping the spice in it would give me energy.  It did the opposite. I got frozen and cold and huddled in bed for an hour.  At night, I made a super-garlicy juice, too, and the same thing happened - except this time it was room temperature.  I've got to cut back on the amount of strong spices like garlic and ginger I put in.  I figured more was better, right?  No.  Too much of either is too much for my stomach to handle.   A shot or two of something that strong is ok, 800 mL of it is not. Without further ado, here are my juices from yesterday.

Day 5 juices:


Juice A: ginger, lemon, mustard greens, parsley and base. 800 mL.
Juice B: apple, bok choy, and base 1.5L.
Juice C: Arugala, spinach and base. 1L.
Juice D: Aloe, carrot, broccoli, cilantro, and base. 1L.
Juice E: garlic greens, burdock root, sprout medley, and base. 1L.

The thing about the feast is that I'm losing weight.  Not obscenely fast, mind you, but I'm losing weight, which means my body is using up its energy reserves.  Since it's winter, I'm constantly cold.  I'm working on adjusting my caloric intake.  I'm taking in a lot fewer fruits and root veggies, so I think my caloric intake is lower than typical juice feasters.

I posted the following on the Green Room forums:

I started making nutrition calculations based on the unjuiced weight of veggies using www.nutritiondata.com, as suggested on Day 26 of the 92-day course. However, we obviously don't ingest the full raw vegetable, so these data are inaccurate. How much nutrition gets lost with the pulp? Can I simply pro-rate all the nutrition by weight and attribute the lost calories and nutrients to the pulp?

A different way of asking the question would be: What should I target as a total daily calorie count for the unjuiced raw fruits and vegetables. I find I am juicing approximately 12 lbs of greens and that comes to 1600 calories according to www.nutritiondata.com.  That is a bit low, so I'm guessing I have to up my intake.

No comments:

Post a Comment